You are here
Gain insight into methods of the best contemporary acrylic artists in the 2nd edition of AcrylicWorks. Features more than 125 paintings by about 100 artists selected from hundreds of acrylic painters across the world. Each painting is accompanied by an instructive and inspiring caption discussing the artist's radical breakthrough in the painting process.
Many urban sketchers have a natural interest in the structures and cityscapes that make up their drawings, and Archisketcher offers these readers a fun and accessible way of learning a little more about their surroundings, helping them to spot and recognize a wide range of common architectural styles and characteristic features.
Adding an interesting slant on the subjective nature of sketching, two-page spreads present the work of various artists who offer their own interpretations of famous landmarks, such as the Eiffel Tower or the New York skyline. The book also features a series of spotlights on international sketchers who discuss the architectural styles and features that they like to sketch in their own neighborhoods (including artists from San Francisco, Montreal, Madrid, Amsterdam, and Berlin, to name but a few).
• Packed with accessible bite-sized tips for spotting and sketching different architectural styles and characteristic features
• Features fresh, appealing work from an international selection of contemporary urban sketchers
• Urban/on-location drawing continues to be a hot trend
The person who picks up a copy of Mixed Media Play Date will learn everything she needs to know about mixed media materials and techniques. She will be encouraged through playful and imaginative projects and engaging and humorous writing to try something (everything!) new, to use the tools and materials in both traditional and creative ways, and to make art that comes from the heart. • More than 30 techniques arranged in themed chapters including drawing, painting, adding texture, and transfers/resists • More than 40 diverse materials featured, from the everyday (pencils, paint, gel and texture mediums) to the unique (hardware store tapes and texture add-ins for paint, twine and wire) • Unique approach to mixed-media instruction: focusing on project motifs that are simple, meaningful to the core audience, and easy to work with/replicate
No judgment. No fear. No limits! The Creative Edge takes the reader on an amazing exploration of their own artistic potential by exploring ways to use color, design, metaphors and symbols. Features 26 creativity techniques covered in twenty mini and ten full demonstrations.
Drawing the Horse teaches readers how to draw horses in quickly and easily. With basic diagrams, even the most inexperienced artist can represent the horse's shape and motion with little effort. The reader will learn about basic materials and how to represent horses very simply with only the aid of a pencil and paper. Readers will also learn about shading and different ways of contouring the horse's shape with a variety of mediums, including charcoal, chalk, ink and gouache. • Fills a void in the market--Basic horse drawing titles continue to sell well but the few books available are aging • Includes 20+ mini demonstrations on all aspects of drawing horses • 15+ demonstrations in a variety of mediums
• Lee Hammond is a proven winner with nearly 1 million books, videos and digital products sold. • Artist runs a popular blog on ArtistsNetwork.com • Simple instructions and 25 step-by-step demonstrations will attract beginners. • Focuses on clothing the body and the way fabric moves and drapes, the five fabric folds, and the importance of light and shading. Lee Hammond shows how to draw a wide range of people in classic clothing styles and various types of fabric. Readers will learn how to realistically draw specific body parts like hands and feet, as well as body structure and characteristic movements of people. With less emphasis on fashion trends and more emphasis on basics like the way fabric moves and drapes, the five different folds, the importance of lighting, and the way clothing and form work together, readers will be able to apply these basic principles to drawing all types of clothing styles. Skillful finished drawings will give more advanced artists something to aspire to.
Johaness Vloothuis has conducted online classes with thousands of students and has isolated some of the most common problems most of his students face. In this book, he provides the most effective solutions to help readers overcome these artistic issues. Step-by-step project demonstrations chalk full of tips and techniques and taught in Johannes's friendly style will help readers learn how to overcome the most common landscape-painting pitfalls to create successful, stunning finished artwork.
• Cover the four most popular mediums--oils, pastels, acrylic and watercolor
• Seven full step-by-step demonstrations incorporating key techniques and concepts
Faces are everywhere in the mixed-media realm, and readers want to develop their own unique portraits. Pam Carriker has developed an easy way to map faces, allowing the maps to be customized to create a structure from which to build a unique face. The earlier sections will guide the reader through a natural progression from mapping faces, to sketching and shading, mixing portrait palettes, to a variety of mixed-media projects all based on sketches completed in the proceeding sections. Inspiring works from contributing artists will be spread throughout the book, showing great diversity in possible portrait styles.
• Faces are a popular mixed-media subject, and this will be the first book specifically on mixed-media portraits
• Pam Carriker is a popular workshop instructor and author, her first books selling over 13,300 copies through bookstore outlets alone
• Includes 15 step-by-step demonstrations, showcasing a variety of mediums
Gina Rossi Armfield will teach readers fun, colorful and easy techniques for adding drawing, watercolor and journaling to their sketchbooks or art journals. Readers will enjoy the same No Excuses success with watercolor as they did with their No Excuses Art Journal! Gina will first guide readers through several basic watercolor techniques such as creating a color palette and getting to know the qualities of the specific paints he or she is working with. Then readers will practice drawing and painting with 17 techniques and 6 projects. The book concludes with a 12-section, theme-driven (birds, England, fall, farms, etc.) resource guide that includes reference photos, starter sketches, writing prompts and ideas for fearless watercolor fun! *Watercolor sketchbooks are an increasingly popular topic and more mixed-media artists are venturing into watercolor.
In the best-selling Painting Beautiful Skin Tones with Color & Light, master portrait artist Chris Saper provides expert advice and instruction to painting the four major skin color groups (Caucasian, African American, Asian and Hispanic) in three major mediums--watercolor, oil and pastel.